WHAT IS WIND MITIGATION
The wind mitigation piece of Florida legislation was originally enacted in March of 2003. It was further enhanced in October of 2006, and became very widely known between July 1, 2006 and June 30, 2009 through the My Safe Florida Home Program. The MSFH program provided free wind mitigation inspections on nearly 500,000 Florida homes.
Many Floridians are taking advantage of the cost savings benefits determined from these seven different aspects of your home that get reported on the Florida Insurance Office of Regulation’s form IOR-B1-1802.
LET'S TAKE A CLOSER LOOK
As a homeowner, it is very important that you know what each mitigation credit is and that you have a “Wind Mitigation Inspection” on hand documenting each mitigation feature. Many insurance carriers are performing their own wind mitigation re-inspections and these inspectors are often not as motivated as “retail inspectors” who work directly for you to find the proof/documentation of each component to be able to prove you deserve the discount. Many homeowners are being stripped of their credits due to not being properly prepared for these inspections combined with an often time less than caring inspector.
The following is not an exhaustive review of the inspection criteria; however it is a very thorough explanation of the most common features we run into during our inspections. There are always “outside of the box” situations and “gray areas”. We always recommend a quality inspection company to assist you in determining what wind mitigation credits your home deserves.
To read more on Wind Mitigation Inspections, please visit this descriptive write up detailing the 7 categories of Florida’s Wind Mitigation Inspection. To order a Wind Mitigation Inspection, please contact Pensacola Insurance Inspections TODAY!
REBUILD Northwest Florida provides a Wind Mitigation Retrofit program to Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties that can help prepare your home and help you save even more on your Wind Insurance. Read more about this program here.
Commercial Wind Mitigation Inspection
Are you paying too much on your Wind Insurance premiums? Do you manage or own a unit in a condominium complex? If you haven’t had a Commercial Wind Mitigation Inspection completed you need to schedule one today. We have performed hundreds of Commercial Wind Mitigation Inspections up and down the Gulf Coast of Florida and have seen condominium complexes and associations save tens of thousands of dollars on their Wind Insurance premiums!
Our Commercial Wind Mitigation Inspectors have the skills, licenses, and experience to validate, consult, and perform your Commercial Wind Mitigation Inspection needs. We also provide Replacement Cost Valuations / Insurance Appraisals and we will often “bundle” both services for a price you will not be able to pass up!
The professionals at Pensacola Insurance Inspections want to serve you on your Commercial properties. We can consult and provide advice on what mitigation efforts can be taken to save even more money on your building or associations cost of insurance.
What Wind Mitigation Features Will an Inspector Look For?
These are some of the features the inspector will assess and suggest improvements for:
- Roof covering: The inspector will start off with the basics. For the roof, that’s the covering – the material it’s made of. The inspector will also take a look at the age of the roof and condition it’s in. So if it’s been replaced recently, provide the permit you had for the construction; it’ll help you in the long run.
- Roof-deck attachment: This is how the shingles are secured to the roof deck and how the roof deck is secured to the truss/rafters. During this part of the inspection, the inspector will even look at the length of the nails, which can determine the discounts you can receive.
- Roof-to-wall connection: This tells the inspector how well your roof is attached to the walls of your property and how it would withstand intense hurricane winds.
- Secondary water resistance: The inspector will look to see if you have a protective layer that sits between the primary layer of the roof and the insulating layer of your roof. Think of it as that light rain jacket you wear even though you have an umbrella.
- Roof geometry: This is the shape of your roof. The roof shape determines how well your roof may withstand a windstorm.
- Opening protection: The inspector will take a look at the windows and doors to see if you have extra protection on them. For instance, they will check for shatterproof windows, bracing on the garage door, hurricane-rated doors, and storm shutters. Kin agents always recommend putting up shutters before the inspector arrives to make sure you get this credit.
Please contact Pensacola Insurance Inspections TODAY to begin saving and to have a professional consultant on your team that will be just a phone call away. We will be happy to come make a presentation to your Board or any property owners that would like more information on the services that we provide. Thank you!
START SAVING TODAY
Call Pensacola Insurance Inspections TODAY! Even if your policy doesn’t renew for 6 months, most companies will give a pro-rated discount credit even before your renewal! With an average of $600 in savings, you could be losing $50 every month this inspection report is not on your file!